Check out this 10 min interview with Kathy Cassidy (1st grade teacher in Canada) on engaging your students with technology. In the interview, she describes how she got started with technology and turned her classroom into a Global classroom. Below are some notes I took while watching the video. If, after watching the interview, you want more information, read Kathy Cassidy’s book Connected From the Start
Why have a global classroom and encourage global learning
- We should all be global learners.
- Social Media is already a part of our students lives. We should teach them how to do it in a safe way.
- Teach students to have empathy.
- Students know how to have fun with technology, but we want them to learn how to use technology to learn.
- Teach students appropriate ways to act online.
- Create a digital footprint that you are proud of.
- Start with one thing. Let that be successful and then build on that.
- Try Skype in the classroom.
- Follow blogs of other teachers and then maybe start your own blog.
- Get started by creating a network of teachers that can support you via twitter or blogs.